David ‘Avocado’ Wolfe is an entertainer. He is charismatic, has ridiculously smooth skin and kind, wide eyes. He is also one of the world’s leading authorities on nutrition and a dynamo of super food knowledge. I was fortunate enough to attend a workshop, lecture and dinner in Dunsborough recently as part of his recent tour of Australia with my blog-babes Emily Ehlers from Olive on Blonde and Emmy Clews from Greens and Growth.
The whole weekend was a massive game-changer for the three of us. I was thrilled when he proclaimed ‘I’m not here to talk about kale and broccoli, that’s boring now. We’ve been there, done that. If you’re not eating it by now, well I don’t know why you’re here.’ Blunt yes, but it hit home. This man is a visionary and he is creating a revolution. I found myself going ‘yes, yes!’ countless times during his lecture and I may have even become a little bit of a wellness woo girl.
I could go on forever about what I scribbled down, applauded and almost cried about. Watching him speak is seriously a religious experience and if you ever find yourself in the same city as him, go and watch, listen and learn. And buy a ticket to the cacao dance after party. Chocolate, dancing and hula-hoops? Yes please!
Here are the top 10 things that hit home the hardest for me.
1. It’s not just about ‘getting healthy’ or ‘getting fit’ anymore. We need to build our life force, our essence and our longevity. We need to nourish our bodies to create momentum into our later years. Chi. Shen. Jing.
I adore this concept as I am a firm believer that health is more than a destination. Creating health clears the slate to build whatever you want to build in your life. Health enables you to dissolve the distractions that stop you from knowing yourself and spending time on pursuing your passion and purpose. Focussing on longevity and essence means we are nourishing our life force to get the very, very best out of life.
2. It’s all about the super food/super herb combo baby! Astragalus, irish moss, shilajit (shila-what?), reishi mushroom. Haven’t heard of these yet? You will.
‘Get on the top 10 super foods and super herbs in your region, go with ease, grace and flow and do your best to get off the rest.’
3. Apparently Jim Morrison lived on avocados, oranges and acid while concocting his concept of The Doors. Now I’m not necessarily advocating the use of hallucinogenics but that’s some serious whole food power right there.
4. Alcohol? Let’s just get real. It’s a psychoactive drug. How can we reduce stress in our lives without a hangover? How can we increase connection and joy in our lives WHILE nourishing ourselves?
Certainly something to ponder, right? I’ve spoken before about my decision to dramatically reduce my alcohol intake here and I’m about to embark on another big break from it completely, so this was something that hit home for me. You too?
5. Medicinal mushrooms are where it’s at. Reishi, cordyceps, shiitake, chaga, hell even the modest button mushroom packs a powerful healing punch.
6. You experience synchronicity in your life, yeah? Well how about this. Let’s take synchronicity and put it on steroids.
How? Create a reality that accepts nothing less. Do you have any beliefs in your life that don’t make you feel good? Let them go. Stop watching the news. Right now. Turn it off. Anything that isn’t useful for you to believe, leave it behind. Get out of your beliefs and into energetic possibilities. Let’s get in the holy flow of hypersynchronicity.
Have I lost you? This was the point my brain started to explode too. But I just love it. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. It’s time to quit the self-limiting beliefs.
7. Let’s just get back to basics. Air, water, earth and fire. Breathe fresh air – outdoors. Drink the best water you can find. Go to the beach and bury yourself in the sand. Walk barefoot on the grass. Warm yourself by a fire. Stand naked in the rain. (I dare you!) Reconnect with Mother Nature and find the simplicity of her healing.
8. Whatever is right around you is your next immediate step. It’s important to look forward and develop big dreams but what is making itself blaringly obvious to you right now? What keeps coming up? What lesson is longing for you right NOW in front of your eyes?
NOTE: For me right now, this is all coming back to this. Sexiness and my (often daggy) external appearance. I have a BIG lesson to learn here and it keeps coming up in my everyday life. It’s all around me. So I’m going to take that next immediate step and I’ll be showing up in all my meticulously groomed glory. (Promise an update post on this one soon.)
9. Make every day The Best Day Ever. Simple.
10. And last but not least, this smoothie. To make the ultimate super food/super herb drink by David Wolfe, you will need the following…
BASE: Coconut water, chilled tea or vegetable juice. Whatever takes your fancy.
FILLER: Cacao butter, nut butters, goji berries, blueberries, coconut oil. Something that will thicken the smoothie up and taste awesome.
SWEETENER: A mixture of maca, lacuma and mesquite will work as well as xylitol or a drizzle of honey.
SUPER FOODS: Irish moss, goji berries, maca, lacuma, mesquite, sprouted barley, bee pollen.
SUPER HERBS: Shilajit, baobab, Japanese knot weed, reishi and cordyceps mushrooms, astragalus, nutmeg. (This is where the magic happens!)
CACAO: The ultimate chocolate vessel in which to ‘hide’ your potentially not-so-delicious super herb goodies.
CAYENNE PEPPER: For the ultimate chilli-chocolate experience, you have GOT to add this.
Blend, blend, blend away.
NOTE: After 2 of these drinks, I literally felt high. My head was completely blown off. In a centred, grounded, pure-energy kind of way.
Let’s be honest though, we probably don’t all have these ingredients lurking in the pantry next to the oregano and turmeric. Just start with what you’ve got. And above all, have fun! A healthy lifestyle can be enjoyable, experimental and creative. MAKE YOUR BEST LIFE EVER!
Are there any of these ingredients you’d be keen to try? OR was there a particular tip I mentioned that really resonated with you? Let me know in the comments.